If you are a healthcare professional required to take HIPAA exams and you are unsure as to the training you need and what it entails, you have stumbled upon the right article. Listed below is some information on what HIPAA Exams are all about.
1. The type of HIPAA Exams training you need depends on whether you have direct contact with patient identifiable health information, such as medical records or health plans, or not. For professional that do not have access to patient records, the HIPAA Basics is more than sufficient. All other healthcare professional will have to undergo the HIPAA Advanced training course in order to receive the credits they need.
2. More specifically, the HIPAA Basics training course is intended for staffing agencies, business associates, IT staff and software developers, attorneys, cleaning and maintenance staff, medical transportation and delivery services, medical suppliers, pharmaceutical company employees, collection agencies, call center personnel, and document storage facilities.
3. On the other hand, the HIPAA Advanced training course is required for all doctors, nurses, dentists, medical office staff, chiropractors, hospital personnel, translators that deal with patients and doctors, pharmacy staff, mental health professionals, medical students, health insurance administrators, human resources managers, medical devices and products manufacturers, medical observers, and medical data transcriptionists.
4. HIPAA Basics Training begins by raising awareness on HIPAA, which acts as law in the United States. Users can get some inside knowledge into HIPAA's background and its achievements so far. The HIPAA Basics course also deals with other topics, such as HIPAA implementation and the privacy rule. The training offers healthcare professionals a framework for understanding HIPAA's health standards and their implementation.
5. The Basics course also offers information on The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) and The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH). More specifically, the course presents an overview of changes, penalties and enforcement methods, privacy rights, and a definition for the words "business associates".
6. Apart from the topics presented above, the HIPAA Advanced training course has an additional topic, on the HIPAA security rule. Through this topic, users will have the chance to learn about administrative, technical, and physical safeguards, the security rule standard, workforce security, possible flexibility of the security rule, breach of security incidents, and planning, implementation, evaluation, and control of the security rule.
7. Both HIPAA Basics and HIPAA Advanced are online-based courses and each can be completed in just 45 minutes. In both cases, users have to pass a final exam before they are able to download or directly print their certificate. HIPAA Exams also offers healthcare professionals with 20 downloadable forms, regardless if they choose the advanced or the basics training.
These are some of the most important things someone working in the healthcare system should know about the HIPAA Exams and the two different types of training available. The information presented above should help you realize which one of the two courses is best suited for you so that you can make the right decision.